Today’s content marketing strategies are multi-lingual: they communicate in many different mediums. Long form content continues to be important, visual content is gaining ground rapidly and microcontent is fast claiming a spot at the table. Microcontent? What the heck is that?
We are defining microcontent as a short content piece, usually aimed towards one particular topic and very limited in scope. A great example is practically any social media posting. One good reason why microcontent is getting more focus these days is the global shift to mobile devices. It’s just not anyone’s idea of a great time to need to read large blocks of text on a mobile device. Mobile content is consequently shorter, snappier, and often uses images or videos. With predictions of around 80 percent of all traffic being viewed on a mobile device in the next few years, it’s high time to make a plan for microcontent!
Some suggestions for using microcontent in your business!
- One way you might already be using microcontent is for posting a status update on Facebook leading back to your blog.
- Make an image or meme with a quote from your post and post it to the photo sharing sites like Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr.
- Use Vine or Instagram to make a short (in the case of Vine; 6 seconds!) pithy video and direct viewers to your page.
- Create copy that your readers can easily retweet!
- Incorporate calls to action inside your microcontent. Click here to learn more, etc.
- Curating bits of content your readers will find useful from other sites can do several things for you. It helps establish your authority, satisfies your audience, and is quite simple to do.
Be consistent in your microcontent strategy. A regular digest of tips and tricks for your market is something that can get shared all over the place. Make copious use of images and videos; for this is what people wish to see, particularly in the short form!
Remember, the best use of microcontent is to make it sharable, and to have it lead to a destination of your choice!
Click here to schedule a free marketing huddle! We’ll create a marketing plan together that’s unique to you and your business and guaranteed to be worth your time or we’ll give YOU $250!